For many moms, it’s about more than a tangible gift that will look good on social media. The perfect gift is one that will leave mom feeling loved and refreshed, valued and recharged.
I asked moms all over Facebook what they REALLY want for Mother’s Day. By and large, the answer boiled down to our most precious commodity… time.
Today’s moms ultimately want a break.
A break from the day-to-day to-do list that only grows. A break from the bickering and constant questions. A break that affords the luxury of time… to do whatever she wants.
As you shop for the special moms in your life this Mother’s Day, here is a gift guide that allows mom to spend a bit of time on herself. For one day, it’s an opportunity to take the thankless tasks off her plate and let her truly enjoy her time.
A gift guide for the mom in need of time and self-care:
- A day or night or weekend to herself, at home, at a hotel, it doesn’t matter. Pre-book (and pay for) a room and send her on her way. If she has to make the reservation, it will never happen. So, make the arrangements, print out the details, and send her on her way.
- Uninterrupted sleep, an afternoon nap and the opportunity to sleep in; the perfect accessory for restful sleep… a sleep mask is nice, but whatever you do, make sure crying, screaming, whining, or fighting cannot be heard. That means taking the kids far away from the house, because her “sonic mom ears” will hear those lovely babes from a mile away.
- A day at the spa, (for local Twin Cities Mamas, we love Spalon Montage!), for a massage, facial, blowout or all of the above. See the above point about pre-booking and paying).
- Time to get caught up in a book-
- An afternoon or evening with the girls – to include shopping, wine and conversation – without kids or a curfew.
A gift guide for the mom who wants to be surprised:
- This Morse Code Mother Necklace is the perfect accessory – it’s darling, pairs well with everything and has a great price point
- A thoughtful and unique flower bouquet, shop local at Chez Bloom Floral & Events or support a female entrepreneur at Farmgirl Flowers
- An empowering shirt or tank to help you rock motherhood
A gift guide for the sentimental mom:
- A handmade gift from the kids, here are some ideas for fun handprint art – bonus points if you make sure the mess is cleaned up, too!
- A creative coupon book from the hubby and kids, for help and time to herself throughout the year- and make sure it stays somewhere the whole family can reference it to help mom remember to turn in her coupons!
- Handmade cards (see point above about cleaning up the mess.)
- A journal that documents Mother’s Day with my children as they grow – through hand/footprints, or handwritten letters
A gift guide for the mom that could use a clone of herself:
- A clean house and I mean decluttered and deep cleaned… and of course, it has to last. Really want to win her over? Hire a local cleaning service for the day while mom is out shopping.
- Dinner made and the dishes done while mom drinks a glass of wine on the porch or goes for a walk.
- Help with the laundry, an occasional break from laundry all together and at the very least, laundry in the correct spot whether it’s clean or dirty (and then teach the kids to do it regularly.)
- A detailed car (that lasts – see coupon book idea to go with this one and include monthly car vacuuming by the kids)
And you know what every mom wants no matter her age or the age of her children?
To not make the plans for Mother’s Day.
For one day, moms want someone else to make the decisions, book the reservation and wrangle the children so they can truly enjoy a day just for mom.
So there you have it. The ultimate guide for making Mother’s Day extra special this year and for year’s to come. Are you giving an extra special gift to your mom this Mother’s Day (or, did you get a great gift from your family?)? Post a comment below because the more ideas the better!
And last but not least, Happy Mother’s Day from one driven mama to another!